NICOLOSI probably takes its name from the Benedictine Monastery of San Nicola (Saint Nicolas) commissioned in 1359 by the Bishop of Catania. In 1886, Nicolosi was threatened by a flow of lava which, fortunately, halted a few hundred metres before the first houses of the village. On returning to their homes on June 13, the inhabitants thanked St. Agatha. The following year, the Mother Church, destroyed by earthquakes, was restored. The Chapel of St. Agatha, which recalls the site where Cardinal Dusmet had exhorted the Saint to save the town, was also constructed. Today, the main activities of the town are trade and tourism although its economy remains tied, to a minor extent, to a more well-equipped modern form of agriculture according to the regulations of the Etna Regional Park. Victims of abusive construction include Monti Rossi whose soil provided an excellent construction material. The Supervisory Authorities have recently imposed precise constraints on the use of materials.
The Province of Catania is famed for its wines, in particular superior, strong-bodied reds. The port of Riposto has been active in the export of wines since ancient times. D.O.C. wines such as Etna red and white are produced in the northern area, comprising the Randazzo and Solicchiata zones as far as Linguaglossa. The nerello mascalese vine is particularly renowned. The zones of the Giarre area have been famous for the production of readily drinkable spirits and liqueurs since ancient times. Both Nicolosi and bordering towns have an excellent gastronomic profile and reputation. The food and wine of Catania reflect that of Sicilia, although marked by dishes that are symbols of the city of Catania, such as the famous Pasta alla Norma. The “fast food” of Catania is famous both in Italy and worldwide and scacciate, cipolline and cartocciate can also be found in Rome, Milan, London, New York, Los Angeles and many other cities. Without forgetting the arancini, stuffed rice balls. Typical dishes of Catania range from appetizers such as marinated anchovies and octopus salad, to first courses such as the above-mentioned Pasta alla Norma and Macco di fave and second courses such as parmigiana di melanzane, sarde a beccafico and Catania style falsomagro. Sicilian pastries are also renowned all over the world and include delicacies such as cassata, rice pancakes, cassatelle of Saint Agatha or the Sicilian cannolo.
The Catania-Etna, known from 1969 to 1972 as Corsa dell’Etna, is a car race, more precisely an uphill climb. The first edition was organized on June 8, 1924 by the Unione Sportiva Catanese and the tradition is now continued by the Catania Automobile Club d’Italia. The route has been modified several times over the years. Starting from 1969, the route was Nicolosi-Rifugio Sapienza, subsequently transferred to the autodrome of Pergusa. 1980 marked the return to Etna, from the signalman’s house of Nicolosi to Piano Bottara and, since then, the route has remained more or less unchanged. Nicolosi is also home to the Etna racing team founded on March 18, 1960 by thirteen racing enthusiasts and which made its debut on the track the following month in the third edition of the Belmonte Cup at Avola where it scored an amazing success, romping home in first, second and third position. In the 44th edition of the mythical Targa Florio, the team secured a good fourth place in the 1300 GT class. The 1990’s were not a particularly successful period for the team which, from the start of the new millennium until 2008, failed to secure any significant victories, with some ten outright wins in particular in the uphill climb. In 2010, the team celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its foundation. To celebrate the centennial of the first race held in 1906, the Targa Florio racing team was established in 2006 with the aim of becoming one of the most important, exclusive national and international teams, promoting the image of Sicily worldwide and echoing a mythical past of great historical value.
|Mayor: Angelo Pulvirenti|
|Official website: www.comune.nicolosi.ct-egov.it|
|Town Hall: P.zza Vittorio Emanuele – Postal code 95030|
|Phone: 0957 917011|
|Surface area: Km2 42