ASCOLI PICENO, located in the Marche Region, lies at the confluence of the Tronto River and the Castellano intermittent stream. Two protected nature parks border on the town: the Parco Nazionale del Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga to the south and the Parco Nazionale dei Monti Sibillini to the north-west. Fairly certain evidence confirms that the area was inhabited already in the Stone Age and also in the Neolithic Era by Italic populations. Ascoli Piceno was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860. On a more historical note, it is also worth recalling its staunch resistance to the German occupying forces in September 1943 for which it was awarded the Gold Medal for Military Valour for partisan activities in 2001.
Ascoli has a strong tradition of excellent food and wine. Its rural history is reflected in coratella d’agnello, and also pizza al formaggio, dressed with perfectly cured and aged salami. Egg pasta, accompanied by a sauce made with chicken giblets, also takes a forefront position. The iconic dish of the city is fritto misto all’ascolana accompanied from start to finish by wines of the Piceno area, such as Falerio, Pecorino and Passerina whites or Rosso Piceno and Rosso Piceno Superiore reds. The town has been home to skilled majolica craftsmen since the Middle Ages. Initial industrial development at the end of the eighteenth century was fostered by the enterprising spirit of an Olivetan monk, the Abbot Malaspina, who installed a majolica factory in the Monastery of S. Angelo Magno. Today, the famous ceramic tradition of the town is still cultivated by some ten artisan workshops, together with another important tradition, that of lute making.
The Paolino Teodori race was held for the first time in 1962, with the Ascoli-S.Marco uphill time trial valid for the Italian Cup. Since then, the race has been held regularly with the support and commitment of the Ascoli Automobile Club and has been redubbed the Paolino Teodori Cup in memory of the Club’s highly esteemed President. Over the years, various modifications have been made to the event, in particular for reasons of driver and public safety. In 1987, it was decided to avoid the built-up area of the Ascoli and to move the starting line to Piagge, also transferring the finishing line to Colle S. Giacomo. However, the excitement of the race and its technical validity have remained unchanged and it is still a major event highly appreciated by drivers, technicians and the public and followed by around 15-20 thousand spectators along the entire route.
|Mayor: Marco Fioravanti
|Official website: www.comune.ascolipiceno.it|
|Town Hall: Piazza Arringo, 1 – Postal code 63100|
|Phone: 0736 2981|
|Surface area: Km2 318,61|