ARESE lies on a large fertile plain selected in 507 DC by the Hungarians as a place to settle and change their customs. The coat of arms of the town, designed in 1926 with the motto Ex gladis fruges, represents, on one side, a barbarian tent recalling its legendary foundation and, on the other, an ear of corn on a blue field. The tent is surmounted by the rays of a brilliant sun: symbols certainly inspired, together with the ear of corn, by the town’s agricultural vocation. The original coat of arms was subsequently modified inserting the fasces lictoriae at the top and removing the motto Ex gladis fruges and the blazon around the shield. In 1944, the chief of the fasces was abolished from Italian coats of arms and the fasces lictoriae was removed. Bollate exerted a considerable influence from the time in which Arese depended on the Parish Church of Trenno, in the first half of the eighteenth century. Subsequently, as can be readily inferred, Arese was aggregated with Bollate.
The comital family of the town started to play an important role in the seventeenth century, the situation with the Austrians improved and cultivation of the mulberry and silk production was intensified. Following the Unification of Italy, Arese was englobed in 1891 in the IX Milan administrative district, headed by Bollate. The town’s first democratic elections were held in 1945 with three candidates: a social-communist, a Christian democratic and an independent.
Festa di Sant’Antonio
On January 17, Arese, along with many other towns in the area around Milan, celebrates the liturgical feast of Saint Anthony the Abbot who is still venerated as protector of animals and as healer. The traditional bonfire of St. Anthony is lit and mulled wine and hot chocolate are distributed.
During the festival held on June 29 in honour of the Patron Saints Peter and Paul, a greasy pole is erected in the old town centre.
From June to September, musical entertainment and animation, ballroom dancing, outdoor film shows for children, bicycle rides in the park of the Groane, lunches and dinners in the courtyards of Valera with typical dishes, plays and live concerts are organized.
Music at the Ville di Delizie
The music festival, held for the first time in 1996, is staged from April to June at Villa La Valera with a new double title: “L’Aperitivo in Villa con l’Artista e Delizie in Villa”. Soloists, choirs and orchestras perform in the elegant spaces of this noble eighteenth century Lombard Villa.
Jazz in Giardino
The Jazz Festival is now a regular appointment for jazz fans in the summer period.
Anonima Lombardia Fabbrica Automobili (A.L.F.A.) was set up in 1910 and, in the same year, Giuseppe Merosi designed the first Alfa, the 24 HP, a fast, safe vehicle with modern characteristics. Since then, Alfa cars have become an inextricable element of the collective imaginary and technical evolution and cutting-edge engineering have made the difference on the automotive scene. Since December 18, 1976, the Alfa Romeo Historical Museum of Arese proposes cento anni di mito (a hundred years of myth), embodied in a splendid collection of 110 exceptional vehicles comprising rare, unique items and racing, production, prototype and concept cars. In addition to cars, the Museum also houses 15 aircraft engines and 25 car engines. More than 60 per cent of the vehicles on display are fully efficient and functioning and have taken front stage in various national and international events and manifestations. Each year, the Historical Museum is visited by a public coming for 60 per cent from abroad and promotes cultural events tied to the world of the car and to everything that rotates around this. The Documentation Centre provides a considerable amount of written and illustrated material regarding the history of the Marque, catalogued using state-of-the-art instruments (microfilming and electronic processing). The Registro Italiano Alfa Romeo (R.I.A.R. – Alfa Romeo Italian Register) is now based at the Alfa Historical Museum. This no-profit organization was founded in Rome in 1962 and now has more than 1500 members who preserve the vehicles in perfect conditions with particular attention to restoration and originality. Zagato Design, an historical Italian company founded in 1919 that produces sports cars such as Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti, Bentley, Rolls Royce , Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Isotta Fraschini, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lancia, Abarth and other excellent names is based in nearby Terrazzano di Rho.
|Mayor: Michela Palestra|
|Official website: www.comune.arese.mi.it|
|Town Hall: Via Roma, 2 – Postal code 20020|
|Phone: 02 935271|
|Surface area: Km2 6.563|